So many people say that happiness is not a destination, but a way of being and I totally agree with that! Happiness doesn’t come when you lose the weight, when you finally move into your dream house, or when your get the job you’ve always wanted. Happiness is an accumulation of good attitude, finding the silver living, appreciation for life, and finding beauty in every flaw. I think it comes with time, maturity, and understanding. Compromise and circumstance. Life has a funny way of showing you what truly matters, and the things you think will make you happy, they aren’t it.
Happiness is an emotion. It’s something we should feel every day. It’s something we can feel every day if we live our lives in a way that is conducive to that emotion. If we refocus our attention on creating that emotion, we attract more things that are happy and good.
Here are just 8 tips for creating your own happiness right now.
- Know that it’s never too late to start again. You can always go back for a different degree, a different career direction, a different love story. A different story altogether. The time you’ve put into something shouldn’t matter if it doesn’t make you happy. Don’t live your life the way you’re living it if you’re not happy living it. There is no reason in the world big enough worth torturing yourself living a life you don’t love.
- Don’t put up with things or people that don’t feed your soul. Life is too short to surround yourself with negative energy and people that want to bring you down.
- Positive Mantras. Hold on tight to the thoughts that that bring you joy and comfort. Negative thoughts find their way into even the most positive minds, but it’s how we handle them and their influences that matters the most.
- Practice being Grateful. It’s not abnormal or wrong to take things for granted. It’s human nature! But in moments of doubt, it’s helpful to count our blessings and re-realize how lucky we really are. Sometimes when we take a moment to look at the bigger picture, we gain perspective.
- Self Care. I am so big on taking time to care for yourself! And I’ve read a lot about how our age group, or “the millennials” are so obsessed with self-care. I think it has a lot to do with how we grew up. This particular age group grew up in a weird era, between our parents we were hard working, money=success minded, kinds of people, and the idea that we can follow whatever dreams or passions we desire as long as we can figure out how. That with the rise of technology and comparisons being at an all time high, I think we’re much more prone to the stress and pressures that come with living in this kind of society. Self-care is important. Mental health is important. Being happy with who we are and what our lives are, is important.
- Serve others. Being a good person in a world that seems to lack all trust and respect is a great way to spread happiness both out into the world, and inwards into our own hearts. Stop assuming the worst in others, give more, be considerate, smile at others, and treat people the way you’d want to be treated if you were ever in their shoes. When I was in Orlando I read something carved into the railing at Lake Eola Park and it said something along the lines of “don’t let this world harden you, we need more soft voices.” Which really struck me, especially since Orlando is the home of the worst mass shooting in the America. It meant a lot to read those words in a place that, if any place in America, deserves to feel hardened by the actions of others.
- Live a Healthy Lifestyle. When we treat our bodies with respect and feed them the fuel they require to function, we tend to feel better in our bodies and our minds.
- Get back to Nature. There’s something about the simplistic beauty that nature offers that brings our souls back to center. We tend to get wrapped up in our phones, social medias, the latest TV shows, our blog views, and new stuff, that we lose touch with a super basic source of bliss! Go on an adventure, find a lake, a trail, a mountain, something. The views, the smells, the fresh air.. it does something to you!