Having a day to take care of you is important to your.. well, sanity! I always notice I start feeling a little off if it’s been awhile since I’ve waxed my brows or masked my face, or had enough sleep. I know our 20’s are supposed to be the years that we “grind” and “bang it out” because we have the energy to, but still, we’re never too young to experience burnout. Make sure you’re taking the time to put yourself first and do what you need to do, to make yourself feel like yourself! These are just 10 of my favorite ways to unwind and treat me when I’m having a weird day.
1. Self-Tanning // I am a sucker for a tan and every Spring I feel the overwhelming desire to be darker. It’s a problem really. I’ll be delving into that topic a little later, but for now I’ll just tell you what I do! Some find tanning beds suuuper relaxing (they are) but they’re also not that good if you’re trying to not get skin cancer, so if you find yourself in my position, try a self tanner! Some smell worse than others, some streak more than others, and some are waayyy more expensive than others. Just do your research, test a few out, and find what works best for you! A couple years ago, I was experimenting with the self-tanner scene and I tried a bunch of different kinds (lotions, mousse, wipes, oh my!) And eventually, I settled on St. Moriz tanning mousse. Mousse is 100000x easier to apply and less likely to streak. It dries super fast, and only has to sit on your skin for a few hours! It says wait until it dries to do anything, but I never trust that. Always always always rinse it off before you sleep in your white sheets or wear your white bra. I don’t care what the bottle says – you will sweat. You will get it all over the place. I use the dark one (there is dark and medium) because I didn’t notice a drastic enough difference in the medium (and I’m pale, so don’t worry about the dark being too dark.) And I use a mitt to apply it. It takes maybe ten minutes to put it on? Then I wait 2-3 hours (or I sleep in it) and then I rinse it off in the shower. It lasts about a week or two, so when I first do it, I’ll apply and rinse, wait a day or so, apply and rinse again, and then every weekend (or every other weekend) I’ll go and apply and rinse just once to maintain the color I have. I didn’t take any before and after pictures because I was too excited (sorry) but this is what the bottle looks like! I am in the love with this product and I am seriously, like, a devoted consumer. I don’t think I’ll ever use anything else.
2. Wine // Sometimes having a drink can help relax your mind and put you in a better mood. You don’t have to get wasted, but a drink or two is always a reliable way to loosen up a little and enjoy yourself! Especially when you’re at home, chillaxin!
3. Eyebrow Waxing Pen // Having my eyebrows groomed is seriously something that transforms me. It makes me feel like a totally different person, like I have my shit together, like my life has meaning. You know. I don’t like going to get them done though – don’t ask me why. I really don’t know. I just don’t enjoy it. Anyways – I found this pen at Walmart and it comes with these reusable cloth strips, so you twist the bottom until the cold wax comes out and you just apply it literally like eyeliner, and then you use the strip to pull it off. IT’S MY FAVORITE. It’s so easy to use, takes like 5 minutes. And I didn’t have to leave my house to do it. It lasts forever, too. I actually lost the strips before I used all of the wax in the pen. And it’s so inexpensive!
4.Smooth Legs // I think hair removal just makes my day, I don’t know. I like having smooth legs, but if you read my laser hair removal post, you read that I don’t care enough to actually shave them. it’s so tedious to me and you have to have the flexability of a damn acro-yoga teacher to reach everything in a shower. Regardless, I like smooth leggies and the tropical EOS shaving cream is my fave. Shaving cream is just fun to use but this stuff is more of a lotion than a cream but it smells like pineapple and coconut and sometimes I just rub it all over in the shower for the smell.
5. Order In! // Not having to cook is one of life’s greatest pleasures. Cooking is great, but sometimes you just can’t deal with being responsible for that. Ordering food in can be one of the biggest helps when you’re feeling burnt out! Pizza, Chinese, cookies, whatever you can get!
6. LUSH // Girls are obsessed with Lush. Most of us anyway. There’s just something about colors and bath products that look and smell like food that draws us in. Going to Lush and buying a few things is a total treat for me and I love Lush so much that just knowing it’s organic and vegan and handmade or whatever is enough to get me excited about using them. It’s sad, I realize this. But my favorites are the bath melts (like, bath bomb WHO?!) I know bath bombs are the craze, but the bath melts are like the secret underrated thing that not many people realize are actually the best. They’re small and inexpensive, and make your skin feel like BUTTERRRR after soaking in the bath with one. The only things I even really like about bath bombs is the ones with the Shea butter and stuff IN them that make my skin feel soft, so this is like a bath bomb of JUST the good stuff. Also, bubble bars, the rose water toner, cup o’ coffee face scrub, and the pink clay based face bar. It’s just the best. Walk into your closest Lush and just explore and see what kind of awesome stuff they have, because there’s so much more there besides the bath bombs! I even made a friend in Lush named Morgan that introduced me to some of my faaaavorite products EVER and I’m so glad she did! She’d literally changed my self-care world!
7. Netflix/Hulu Binge // Sometimes the best thing is to just sit on the couch and not move. Find a show you love and watch the whole thing. You can do simple exercises on the couch or in the living room too, if you’re not one for sitting on the couch all day!
8. Reading // Sometimes it’s nice to un-plug and get into a really good book. Whether it’s a fiction you can escape to, something based on a true story that gives perspective, or something more along the lines of self-help, you can never go wrong picking up a book and vegging out on the couch for a few hours! It feels so good to zone out and totally focus in on one singular thing. I think that’s why I like reading so much – the same as painting, crafting, etc. Whatever you can get super into, do it! 9. MASK IT UP // I love a good hair mask and something to put on my face. I have been having some problems with dry, flaky skin (ew, sorry) so cup o’ coffee from Lush is the bomb.com. Coffee is a perfect exfoliant and it smells really good, too. Charcoal masks are my second favorite, and I use those more in the summer time when my skin is more on the oily side. I use coconut oil in my hair to help it grow faster. I have no idea if this actually works but my sister’s friend Kate swears by it, so I’m doing it. Even if it doesn’t work, it makes my hair feel really nice.
10. Naps on Naps on Naps // Take yourself a nap, dude. A quick nap, a 3 hour nap, whatever your body is telling you it needs. Sometimes we get so used to a schedule, that we get exhausted without even really realizing it. Napping or sleeping in feels so good and it’s so necessary every once in awhile!
Go take care of you!!