Coffee is a staple in the lives of so many but MY GOD can it rack up the calories and sugar! I stopped drinking it for a while and stuck to tea, mostly, but lately I’ve been getting so into it that my coffee shop visits have been way more frequent that the once-in-a-blue-moon “treats” I was having before. I had to revisit my list of to-dos and to-don’ts for my coffee – especially at Starbucks with their fancy drinks and specialty syrups and cookie crumbles and whipped cream.
1. Order your drink with no syrups or sauces! There are a variety of syrups and sauces that Starbucks offers to “dress up” your beverage, but they’re loaded with sugar, and their SF options are loaded with artificial sweeteners. Not any better. I am so guilty of indulging in the occasional Diet Coke, but I obviously wouldn’t “recommend” it! Aspartame is the worst additive out there, and it’s in almost everything – including “diet” food, and sugar free drink options!!
Instead: Try adding cinnamon from their coffee bar into your drink! Cinnamon in coffee is one of my favorite things, and it’s also great for you! I also carry a little squirt bottle of stevia with me at all times, and I add this to my drink as well. You can get these at Walmart and other major grocery stores.
2. Say NO to whole milk!! You would be surprised to know just how much sugar is in a serving of whole milk! (13 grams for 1 cup!! THAT’S HALF of a women’s daily recommendation of sugar!!)
Instead: Ask for your drink to be made with soy, almond, or skim! Soy milk has about 10 grams of sugar, almond milk has 7 grams, and skim milk comes in at 12 grams per serving. Even better, skip the milks altogether and opt for half-and-half from their coffee bar, or take it black! Both of these options contain no sugar = win.
3. Skip the whip! While the sugar content in Starbucks whipped cream is low (about 1 gram!) It adds just under 100 calories to your morning joe!!
4. Go unsweetened! Are you a tea drinker?? Because I am obsessed with their passion tea, green tea, and mango black tea! Unfortunately for me, their mango black tea is made with a mango flavored syrup – see number 1. LOL. But the other two teas and the rest of their normal-brewed teas can be ordered unsweetened! They are 0 calories, 0 sugars, so yummy, and then you can add your own stevia sweetener!
5. Check your size! I know large coffees are sometimes totally necessary but if it’s the caffeine you’re after, order a small drink with an extra shot of espresso! The larger your beverage, the more stuff they put in it. More milk, more syrups, more everything! & The closer you keep your coffee to being actual coffee, the better off you’ll be in the end!